These two things can make us PORTLANDERS forget how to be smart about exercising in the heat!
Here are a few reminders:
· Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water! It is more difficult for your body to regulate temperature under dehydration. We have noticed that wearing masks, we also tend to drink less water even in doors. Stay alert, aware and conscious about how much water you are drinking every day.
· Pay attention to the humidity level. High humidity means that the body can’t cool off as efficiently.
· Replenish electrolytes if you are active for prolonged periods.
· If you regularly exercise outdoors, it can take up to 2 weeks for you to acclimate to the hotter conditions.
· Plan your most stressful activities for earlier in the day/late at night when the temperatures are cooler.